Chicken, Avocado and Bacon salad
From ThePoultrySite.com kitchen
Fancy doing a bit more with your chicken salad? Why not try adding avocado and bacon for a really special treat.
Apologies, we didn't get to take any photos whilst preparing this dish.
Ingredients (serves 2 as a main meal)
2 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
6 slices streaky bacon cut in 5mm strips
2 ripe avocados
2 tablespoon lemon juice
2 spring onions finely chopped
1 yolk from a hard boiled egg
3 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tbls groundnut Oil
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 small clove garlic crushed
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small solid bottomed pan add half a tbls of groundnut oil and fry the chopped bacon over a medium heat until crisp.
- Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and place on paper towel. Pour most of the oil/fat mixture onto the bowl you plan to use for mixing the dressing. If mixing with an electric hand mixer use the container that comes with these gadgets.
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the pan and just cover with water. Bring to the boil and gently simmer with the lid on for 8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Once cooked set pan aside to cool.
- Add the hard boiled egg yolk, groundnut oil, lemon juice, garlic and mustard to the drained fat from the pan. Whisk to a smooth mixture. Taste and adjust lemon/salt/pepper to suit.
- Peel and cut the avocados into bite sized chunks.
- Remove the chicken from the pan allowing the stock to drain from them. Chop into bite sized strips. Be careful as the meat may still be quite hot.
- Combine the chicken, avocado, chopped spring onions and lemon juice in a large bowl and gently mix so the lemon juice covers the mix.
Chop the lettuce and arrange as a bed on a plate, topped with the sliced tomatoes. Place the avocado/chicken mix on top. Sprinkle over the crispy bacon and drizzle the dressing over the top.